Monday, January 25, 2010

On Reading Hansen's Storms of My Grandchildren


Before reading Storms of my Grandchildren, I had confidently told a few friends that a Venus style run-away greenhouse effect was not a realistic expectation from even the most excessive fossil fuel use. Hanson's book was a delightful read, in that I recognized a lot of the scientific literature he is drawing on, but he made connections between stellar evolution, paleo-climate reconstructions, and unknowns about the endurance and long-term reliability of carbon sinks that disturb him. If these variables disturb James Hansen, I felt it was worth a picture. I've tried to add a few other elements to the picture, including a redrawn CO2 level from Richard Alley's recent presentation an the AGU: CO2, The Biggest Control Knob.

No comments: