Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sketch's of Grumbine's Heuristic for Stratospheric Cooling

The following illustrations are my self-inflicted homework from More Grumbine Science (heuristic for stratospheric cooling). I'm still studying his post and comments. I hope to use this exercise and the discussion for an illustration that will help me hold the basic physics in one place. Click an image to get an enlarged version. Below, you'll find blanks.
jg

























n the following blanks (templates) I added circles, in which you might want to write the amount of radiation traveling between layers; then use the boxes as sums of the incoming radiation.



2 comments:

Alastair said...

I think that there is an error on the first diagram, which has 1024 as the radiation absorbed in the top layer of the atmosphere. It emits 512 to space which is correct, but it does not receive radiation from space as you have shown. The only radiation from space is solar energy, which should not be included in your diagram because it at a different frequency, or if it is included it should go direct to the surface from space since in theory it is not absorbed..

It would be clearer if you showed the direction of the links.

HTH,

Cheers, Alastair.

jg said...

Thanks, Alastair. I made the correction and added arrows.
jg