Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Blooms: 1/8/2012

In my last two posts, I allude to protecting the natural landscape. This year, I'll try to document this landscape as its plants resume their growth. I hike the Santa Rosa escarpment frequently enough that I should be able to record the first blooms of the various plants. This series will continue till new flowerings stop, which could be as late as July.

In January, I'm seeing the transition of Autumn into Spring. On January 8, 2012, I saw the first flowerings of these plants:

Manzanita (Arctostaphylos glandulosa, or possibly rainbowensis or bicolor)

Orange bush monkeyflower (typically blooms Mar-May)

Nightshade (Parish's purple nightshade Solanum parishii, Solanum americanum, Solanum Xantii or 1 of 5 known introduced species)

Ceanothus (Hoaryleaf Ceanothus, Ceanothus Crassifolius)

jg

No comments: